MTN Uganda and MTN MoMo were the biggest winners at the 2022 Digital Impact Awards Africa, with the two sister companies bagging the biggest accolade of the night; the Digital Brand of the Year – Diamond Accolade. Centenary Bank came second and took home the Gold Prize.
MTN Uganda and MTN MoMo’s overall victory ended the four years long uninterrupted banks’ dominance for this category. In both 2020 and 2021, Standard Chartered Bank won Digital Brand of the year while in 2019, Stanbic Bank won Digital Brand of the Year. In 2018, it was won by Centenary Bank.
While handing over the awards to the winners, Hon. Eng. David Karubanga, the Patron of HiPipo, Member of Parliament Kigorobya County and Chairperson Committee of Physical Infrastructure at the Uganda Parliament thanked all companies that are spearheading Uganda’s digital and financial inclusion journey.
I am happy to see the progress that the country is making on matters of digital and financial inclusion. The efforts of the government and the private sector are all contributing to this success. The Digital Impact Awards Africa continue to play a key awareness and appreciation role.
I thank HiPipo and its partners for being consistent. Even in a bigger way, I congratulate all the winners and encourage them to continue innovating for the betterment of our people.Hon. Eng. David Karubanga, the Patron of HiPipo, Member of Parliament Kigorobya County and Chairperson Committee of Physical Infrastructure at the Uganda Parliament
Now in the ninth consecutive edition, the Digital Impact Awards Africa is a platform that promotes Digital Inclusion, Financial Inclusion and Cyber Security. The Awards recognize and celebrate stakeholders that are spearheading the use of digital mediums to serve communities.
The Digital Impact Awards Africa celebrate digital excellence across the continent; big or small, local or international.
The 2022 edition was part of the broader Digital and Financial Inclusion summit held at Kampala Serena Hotel on Friday 18th November.
The summit brought together C-Level executives and stakeholders that are spearheading the scaling, adoption and usage of digital and financial services across Africa. It explored strategic trends and technologies that are shaping the future of Digital, ICTs and Business. Special attention is paid to the safety of customers’ funds and the security of platforms in the Digital Financial Services ecosystem.
The summit discussed Uganda’s Digital and Financial Inclusion Journey, the disruptive impact of COVID-19 on the business ecosystem and what players are doing to recover, and Financial Inclusion for the people at the bottom of the pyramid. The summit had a special panel-themed Women on the Wheels – Financial Inclusion for Women Boda Boda riders.
Both the Digital and Financial Inclusion Summit and the Digital Impact Awards Africa were presented by HiPipo in partnership with Level One Project, Mojaloop, PortX (formerly ModusBox), and Crosslake Technologies and supported by the Gates Foundation.
2022 Digital Impact Awards Africa Winners’ List.
- Financial Inclusion Excellence.
- Letshego Digital Mall – Gold
- MTN MoMo Advance – Diamond.
- Community/MFI Banking Innovation Excellence.
- Pride Microfinance Limited – Gold
- Centenary Bank – Diamond
- FinTech Innovation Excellence.
- Safecar by SafeBoda – Gold.
- Kawu Smart Card by Kawu Uganda – Diamond
- Financial Services Digital Excellence.
- Comviva and Airtel Mobile Commerce Uganda Limited (AMCUL) – Silver
- MTN MoMo – Gold.
- Standard Chartered Bank – Diamond
- Consumer Goods Digital Excellence.
- Jude Color Solutions – Gold.
- Jumia Uganda – Diamond
- Utilities and Government Services Digital Excellence.
- NSSF – Gold.
- NWSC – Diamond
- Technology Services Digital Excellence.
- Airtel Uganda & Airtel Mobile Commerce – Gold.
- MTN Uganda & MTN MoMo – Diamond
- Digital Campaign Excellence.
- NSSF Hi-Innovator – Gold.
- Stanbic National Schools Championship – Diamond
- Digital Brand of the Year.
- Centenary Bank – Gold
- MTN Uganda & MTN MoMo – Diamond.