MTN Group’s Mobile Money Application Interface (API) is inviting developers across several markets to participate in an Open API Hackathon, with a challenge to create a mobile application that uses MoMo APIs for use in their markets.
The hackathon will be the second conducted by MTN Group Fintech and will take place in the following countries: eSwatini, Zambia, Congo Brazzaville, Rwanda, Uganda, Cameroon, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Guinea Conakry.
Developers will compete to create an innovative application for the markets in which they are registered, which can process financial transactions with added capabilities that go beyond processing payments and drive both financial inclusion and literacy.
MTN is committed to extending financial and digital inclusion across the continent in furtherance of its strategy to build a pan-African Fintech platform that will power the digital economy and serve as a catalyst for social and economic growth in Africa.
With our Open API Platform, we reach out to Africa’s resourceful talents and enable them to grow and create opportunities by leveraging our MoMo Platform. We have no doubt that it is by collaborating with the talents of Africa that we will expand the service offering available on MoMo.Serigne Dioum, Chief Fintech Officer, MTN Group
About the challenge:
- The challenge runs from 04 August 2022 until 9 September 2022
- Developers will have time to submit their idea of an innovative financial and transactional app that must include the usage of MTN Mobile Money APIs
- The developers are required to create a mobile application that uses MTN MoMo APIs; the mobile application needs to target consumers, merchants, or businesses.
- The application must provide a practical and valuable solution that can be deployed in the market where the applicants have registered and can cover use cases beyond payment but must utilize MTN MoMo APIs.
- MTNC will select the top 12 applicants to progress to the prototyping phase
- The preselected applicants will be required to make a live demo of their application to the adjudicator